It’s easy to overlook the little things, but the truth is that most OEM battery cables are not particularly well made. Many OEMs (even Ducati) use cheap steel crimp terminals and coarse wire stranding, making the cables both miserable to work with and bad at functioning appropriately. At Revival, we’ve sourced high-quality components and materials to develop a special DIY battery cable kit you can build yourself to fit your machine perfectly.
The backbone of these kits is very finely braided Class K stranded copper wire, which is soft and flexible, making it easy to route and bend. We combine this premium wire with high quality tin-plated solid copper eye terminals, provide enough of the correct type of solder, and include self-sealing heat shrink to keep the moisture out. This combination gives fantastic electrical conductivity, reduces voltage drop, and is physically stronger than most OEM cables.
Because we use these kits on all of our bikes, we’ve set them up in two different configurations: one kit with black wire, one kit with red wire.
For projects with an exposed battery cable, we generally recommend using the black cable to avoid having a distracting red wire running through the lines of the bike, then marking the hidden end of your battery cable with a short length of red heat shrink to note correct polarity. Conversely, maybe you just need to hide a little bit of positive cable, so you can cover the need-to-hide section of cable with black heat shrink but use red wire to indicate positive polarity. Whatever you decide, we include both red and black heat shrink in both kits.
We have also discovered that there are different needs for the insulation, depending on the install. If you need the absolute minimum diameter to sneak through a tight space, use the thinner black cable. On the other hand, if you need extra abrasion resistance to prevent a short circuit from wear on the battery cable, you can use the thicker red cable. We’ve chosen the red wire to have the tougher and thicker insulation because it is typically the positive terminal and the frame is ground, whereas the black cable is typically the ground wire, and generally not as critical.
- High quality finely stranded copper core
- Red wire: Dual jacket insulation, waterproof TPE inner, and Neoprene outer
- Black Wire: Ultra thin and durable EPDM insulation
- Two sizes of terminals to fit common battery and solenoid posts
- Tin plated solid copper terminals
- Flux core solder to ensure a solid connection
- Heat shrink is dual layer with self sealing adhesive to protect solder joint
Each kit includes:
- 2’ of 6 AWG / 13.5mm2 (either black or red)
- 266/30 Copper stranding
- -60 to 220 degrees F (- 50 to 100 Degrees C)
- Black wire - approximately 0.335” (8.5mm) Diameter EPDM insulation resists cuts, tears, abrasion, grease, oil, water, and flame
- Red Wire - approximately 0.395” (10mm) Diameter dual jacket insulation with TPE inner and Neoprene outer resists cuts, tears, abrasion, grease, oil, water, and flame
- Terminals: Qty. 2 each 1/4” and 5/16”
- diameter 6 gauge tin plated solid copper eyes
- 2’ (600mm) of 0.062” diameter 3% flux core electrical solder Sn60/Pb40
- 6” (150mm) each of red and black dual wall polyolefin heat shrink with 3:1 shrink ratio